Spamassassin for FreeBSD.
Marisabel Rodriguez
2004-04-20 15:00:46 UTC
I need to install Spamassassin in FreeBSD, can you tell me where I can
download the files and where I find de installation instructions?
Can I use it whith smtp-vilter?
Thanks a lot, and best regards,
Marisabel.
Martin Hepworth
2004-04-20 15:03:36 UTC
Hi

I installed via CPAN...

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
Post by Marisabel Rodriguez
Hi,
I need to install Spamassassin in FreeBSD, can you tell me where I can
download the files and where I find de installation instructions?
Can I use it whith smtp-vilter?
Thanks a lot, and best regards,
Marisabel.

the system manager.

Marisabel Rodriguez
2004-04-20 15:08:12 UTC
Hi, you mean you installed the perl modules necessaries, the smtp-vilter
and the smapassasin via CPAN?
Do you have a link with clear instructions to perform it?
Sory, but I an a newby and I could not find a much documentation yet.
Thanks a lot for your response.
Regards,
Marisabel.
Post by Martin Hepworth
Hi
I installed via CPAN...
Bob Apthorpe
2004-04-20 15:40:42 UTC
Post by Marisabel Rodriguez
I need to install Spamassassin in FreeBSD, can you tell me where I can
download the files and where I find de installation instructions?
Can I use it whith smtp-vilter?
1) Download and install SpamAssassin

1a) Get tarball from http://www.spamassassin.org/downloads.html, unpack,
read README, INSTALL, and USAGE, then build and install with: `perl
Makefile.PL; make ; make test ; make install`, or

1b) Install via CPAN with `perl -MCPAN -e install Mail::SpamAssassin`, or

1c) Use FreeBSD's ports system (not being a *BSD user, I can't help with this)

2) Test SpamAssassin to verify it's working properly - see USAGE

3) Start spamd and test that it's working properly - see spamd/README.spamd

Apparently smtp-vilter calls spamd so once you've finished part 3)
above, any further problems are likely in your smtp-vilter setup. You
should direct questions about smtp-vilter to their support forum or
mailing list. The SpamAssassin FAQ may have some information at
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInMta

Google, the SpamAssassin documentation, and the SpamAssassin wiki
(http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/) are your friends; use them
liberally.

-- Bob

PS: Please don't ask me about the particulars of FreeBSD, sendmail, or
smtp-vilter configuration. First, I use Postfix, Linux, and sometimes
Solaris, and second, all I know about this vilter thingy is what I found
in a Google search.